Celebrating National Peaches and Cream Day

So if you didn't know, June 21 is National Peaches and Cream Day. Yes there is this big list of food related national [insert delicious food] days. For the breakdown, check out this list of American Food Holidays. Coming from New Orleans, where we'll use pretty much any excuse to have a party, festival or just good eats...it sounds like a good enough reason to me to celebrate. 

I did a little google search and looked at a few different recipes and finally found my inspiration in this recipe from What's Cooking America. But what's a celebration in Nola without booze? Not a celebration at all...so I made a few modifications.

I also foolishly thought that it would be nice to make it into individual serving sizes, but in reality it just made me feel guilty picking up the second one, which I inhaled as quickly as the first... I'd say it probably works in the ramekins like I did just as well as the original single baking dish.

I know I probably say this all the time, but it's mostly because I only share the good recipes with you....so here it is, this is totally one of my new favorite recipes. The rum flavor hit the spot! If you've got some fresh juicy peaches laying around, I promise you won't regret diving into this recipe.



Boozy Peaches and Cream Custard

Ingredients
4 to 5 fresh peaches
2 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup light rum (I used Old New Orleans Crystal Rum)


Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F. Peel, pit and half your peaches.
  2. If you're using individual ramekins, place one peach half in each small ramekin, otherwise place each peach half in a single layer in the baking dish.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a whisk. Add sugar, cream and rum and whisk until blended. Pour mixture over peaches. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue to bake for until the filling is set and has just started to brown on top (about 15-35 minutes depending on the dish size). Remove from oven and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

Crumby Tips:
  • I still had some custard cream left over because some of my peaches were a bit small and I didn't want to drown them in cream. I did two servings that were mixed peaches and blueberries just to see how they'd come out and another that was just blueberries. They came out okay, but nothing near as perfect as the original peaches and cream. I think I'd rather use the blueberries in a cobbler...
Anyway...hope you enjoy it as much as I did...and as always, Happy Baking!



This entry was posted in ,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply