Cane Syrup Caramel Candies

I had so much fun at the Locavore Market! It was great to meet so many other locavores. Plus, it always warms my heart to see people enjoy something I've made and I sure got plenty of smiles and oohs and ahhhs at the market.

I was actually surprised that my pralines weren't the biggest seller. Top honors went to the pecan macarons, which actually sold out. Another big shocker was everyone's praline preference. I made two different batches: one with butter I made myself from Kleinpeter heavy whipping cream and the other with Kleinpeter salted butter. I was very much opposed to the flavor of the salted ones because they just didn't taste right to me, but my mom convinced me to bring them anyway and let people taste both and decide themselves. Taste testers overwhelmingly liked the salted ones better. Go figure.

Anyway, here is another sweet treat I made for the market that can be locally sourced. It's easy enough to make, but if you don't have any experience making candies the hardest part is making sure you've cooked it long enough. This recipe said about 15 minutes but I found it was closer to 20 before the mixture had boiled down enough to make a nice chewy caramel, otherwise you just get something that would be better as a warm ice cream sundae topping (of which I now have a jar-full of!) rather than stand alone as a candy.

Cane Syrup Caramels
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups sugar
1-12oz can Steen's Cane Syrup
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) salted butter

Instructions
Boil the ingredients in a large saucepan for 15-20 minutes or until it reaches 250 on a candy thermometer. It should harden in cold water. Pour into a 9 in. square pan lined with buttered foil and let cool. Remove from pan and tear away foil. Cut into squares and wrap individually with waxed paper squares. (Wrapping is important to help them keep their shape.)


Enjoy!

This entry was posted in ,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply