The Oh My Meyer Lemon Pie

My garden is freakin awesome (especially pre-Winter 2009). Unfortunately that winter was just a bit too cold for too long for most of my tropical plants. I still love the look and layout of the garden space though and it was really what sold me on the house. The previous owners wanted to plant lots of edibles and butterfly attractants. Unfortunately most of the butterfly attractants didn't survive that winter either, but I do have plans to start bringing some back into the space.

The edibles are just fantastic though. There are two varieties of banana trees, two varieties of lemon trees, a satsuma tree, a key lime tree, and another mystery citrus that is still pretty young and hasn't produced fruit yet. There is some sugar cane I have yet to figure out a use for and a fig tree that the birds always seem to pick at before I do. There is a strawberry guava tree that I think will never produce fruit here because of winter temps. The grape vines that grow on a trellis above the walkway to the backyard are just gorgeous and our wedding picture standing underneath it is one of my favorites. All of that and those are just the big ones! We have lots of herbs too and whatever veggies I attempt to grow in a given year.

Of everything we have, nothing gets me more excited than the Meyer lemons. I'm like a giddy school girl when I pick the first one of the season and the last one makes me want to cry as if I'm saying goodbye to a good friend. This year the last one made an individual sized lemon icebox pie for National Pi Day on 3.14. This recipe is perfect for anyone who loooovvvvess lemon. It has a bamn! in your face lemony tartness that I loved. If by chance you are looking for a more subtle lemon pie check out Emeril Lagasse's recipe. I made it a while back and really liked it, but since he incorporates cream cheese it has a more mellow lemon flavor that I liked but wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Zesty Lemon Pie from Southern Living
Ingredients
6  egg yolks, lightly beaten
3  (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2  cups  fresh lemon juice
2  (9-inch) ready-made graham cracker crusts
2  cups  whipping cream
1/4  cup  sugar

Instructions
  1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients. Pour evenly into crusts.
  2. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Cover and chill 4 hours.
  3. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread evenly over chilled pies. Top with fresh lemon slices and a mint sprig before serving, if desired.

Crumby Notes:
  • The original recipe makes two 9-inch pies. I really didn't want that much pie just for the husband and I on National Pi Day, so I cut it down to 1/3 of the recipe (2 yolks, 1 can condensed milk, 1/2 cup lemon juice) and it made two mini 4-inch pies.  I used mini spring form pans and just kinda eyeballed the graham cracker crust with a bit of butter and baked it for 10 minutes instead of 15. It was delish and I can't wait to make it again! 
  • Since the crumby husband is not a lemon fan, I made him an individual sized chocolate pudding pie. Hopefully I'll get that recipe your way soon, because that pudding puts Jell-O to shame!!
  • I can't say enough about how awesome Meyer lemons truly are. They are a cross between a lemon and a sweet orange, with a sweeter grocery, less acidic flavor than the common lemon. They have a deep yellow-orange colored skin that is very thin, but they are oh so juicy. I love using them in a simple salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice salad dressing. Mid-winter is the perfect time to pick them, so if you have a tree, check out this Los Angeles Times article on 100 things to do with Meyer lemons. If you don't have a tree, ask around your local farmer's markets when they are in season to see if you can track some down. If you have a green thumb, the dwarf varieties can actually be grown in pots so check out more information at meyerlemontree.com. I've also found them at Whole Foods when they are in season and of course, you can find anything on Amazon: Sweet Meyer Lemon Mini Pack by Limonera Ranches.

~Happy Baking!~

This entry was posted in ,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply