The Life Changer a.k.a. Baklava Cheesecake

Although you can't argue with the simple truth that this recipe is divinely delicious, it actually holds a very special place in my heart because of a very very eventful summer in 2007. Even reminiscing now, I still can't believe how much happened in those few months. There was a new job, an old flame newly rekindled, new friendships forged, familial ties shattered and a devastating loss very dear to my heart.

In all the craziness of that summer, this recipe made two appearances and both birthday parties will stay with me always. The first was for my cousin's birthday. My grandmother was already quite ill then and we got the whole family together at her house. I still see it as if it were yesterday with my grandmother in bed with all of her grandchildren around her as I was cutting this cheesecake. It was the last thing I baked for my grandmother before she passed away.

The second appearance was for Meredith and Rhea's joint birthday party at the cabin--not an actual cabin, just a house in the burbs we all used to hang out at (but to us it was never just a house). Actually, let me rewind a bit. I know from experience exactly how intimidating our group of friends can be to meet. It's quite a large group and one time I actually got the full run down of how everyone knows each other. It's a very complicated web and no lie, that conversation lasted about 30 minutes.

Anyway, the very first time I met most of them, everyone was hanging out at The Bulldog. Blake and I somehow got around to a cheesecake discussion, and I couldn't rave enough about the Baklava Cheesecake. Although Blake has absolutely no recollection of meeting me that night, her enthusiasm for Baklava Cheesecake totally hooked me. I made it for the next party and I like to think this cheesecake sealed my fate. It's the first thing I ever made for these guys and we've been besties ever since.

So yea, I made this recipe for the first time in a long time this weekend and I laughed and cried when I started thinking about all the wonderful memories and I hope it becomes as special to you as
it is and will always be for me. :)
Baklava Cheesecake a
dapted from Better Homes and Gardens
Makes 12-18 servings.
Ingredients
1 cup pecans (or Walnuts, Almonds, or Hazelnuts)
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of allspice
12 sheets frozen phyllo dough (14x9-inch rectangles), thawed
1/2 cup butter, melted
16 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz mascarpone cheese, softened
2/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
3 eggs

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease the bottom and sides of an 9-inch springform pan. Set aside. 
  2. In a food processor combine nuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice until nuts are finely ground. (Be careful because nuts can form a paste if ground too much.)
  3. Unfold phyllo dough; remove one sheet and place on a foil, wax paper or parchment paper work surface, making sure to keep the remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. Brush the dough with some of the melted butter. Place another sheet of phyllo on top of the first, rotating it slightly to stagger the corners. Brush with a little more of the melted butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and butter. (This should use about a dozen sheets, but feel free to use extra sheets to even out the spacing of the staggered corners.)
  4. Peel back the foil or paper and ease the phyllo stack into the springform pan, pleating it as necessary and being careful not to tear the phyllo. Let the extra hang up and over the edge. Sprinkle nut mixture over phyllo crust.
  5. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese on low speed until uniform. Add honey , flour and milk and beat until smooth. Add in eggs and beat for just a few seconds until they are incorporated.
  6. Pour filling into phyllo crust. Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan. Bake for about 50  minutes or until about a 2-inch border around the edge appears set when gently shaken (The center should still be wobbly and will set when cooled).
  7. Cool in springform pan on a wire rack for 2 hours. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. 
  8. Remove the ring from the pan, letting it fall downwards to preserve the flaky edges of the phyllo. Use a thin bladed knife to separate the bottom crust from the pan and serve.


Crumby Notes:
  • Almost any nut will do, but I prefer pecans since I almost always have some around.
  • Although the cheesecake will set after 6 hours in the fridge, it really needs 24 hours in the fridge for the flavors to really set and mellow out.
  • Don't be discouraged if you've never used phyllo dough! It can be awkward to handle at first, but it's totally worth it and you can have some fun using the extra dough for cheese pies or spanakopita.

~Happy Baking!~

This entry was posted in ,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply