Figgy Figs everywhere: the cookie edition


So. Much. Fig. I have pitchers of figs in the fridge just waiting for me to get around to them and make more jam. I'm completely in awe how well our little tree did this year and my husband is equally shocked that I actually woke up early every day this season to pick and pick and pick before the birds and bugs got to them!

Now the chore is actually using them without getting bored of jam all the time and these cookies are a perfect way to let any jam shine. Thumbprint cookies are pretty darn high on my all time favorite cookies. I still fondly remember the first time I made and had them at a friend's house when I was a wee lass. As someone with a pretty terrible memory, food is a big trigger for a trip down memory lane and I think of that first time every time I whip up a batch.


Thumbprint Cookies
Makes about two dozen cookies. 

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt (if you use unsalted butter)
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup(ish) jam

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the flour and salt (if needed) to the batter until combined.
2. Whisk egg white until frothy. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Dip ball in egg white and lightly roll the edge in the nuts, making a rim around the ball. Place on baking sheet spacing about an inch apart. Using your finger, make a indentation in the center of each cookie and fill with about 1/2 teaspoon of jam.
3. Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

Crumby Tips:

  • If the dough is too soft to roll place in the refrigerator for a few minutes to firm up. 
  • I like them better with the jam baked in the cookie. To make them last a few days longer without getting soft, cookies can be baked without jam (shorten cooking time to about 10-12 minutes.) Store in an air tight container, adding jam before serving.  
  • I love these with fig or berry jam, but experiment with what you have. Thicker jams work best. 

~Happy Baking!



This entry was posted in ,,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply