Fall in the palm of your hand: Mini Pumpkin Cakes

Okay so maybe I could make these pumpkin cupcakes anytime of the year, but for some reason fall rolls around and the cool weather and falling leaves just makes me want pumpkins and sweet potatoes and turkey...not that we actually have cool weather in New Orleans right now. Yesterday's high was 84. 84!! In mid November! I keep trying to brainwash myself to think fall and it will feel like fall...but the weather gods are just ignoring me.

Anyway...my coworker bought me this pumpkin cupcake pan from Williams-Sonoma as a gift a while back and I instantly fell in love with these cupcakes. I've been waiting all year for fall to come back around to make these again. They have a great soft crumb with a good pumpkin flavor that's not too overpowered with spice. Again, I love the bit of salt in there too, and although the original recipe comes with a frosting, I like them plain. When they're naked I can delude myself into thinking they're appropriate breakfast. 



Martha Stewart's Mini Pumpkin Cakes
Makes 12

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat mini pumpkin pan with vegetable spray or use paper liners in a standard cupcake pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and eggs. Add dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Add in pumpkin puree.
  3. Divide batter evenly among pumpkin molds. Firmly tap pan to release air bubbles. Bake until tops spring back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 28 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly. Turn cakes out onto wire rack to cool completely.
  4. Trim cake bottoms if desired (but I figure why waste perfectly good calories). 
Sugar Glaze
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
orange food coloring, optional

In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and milk until completely smooth. Tint glaze with food coloring as desired. Use immediately.

~Happy Baking!~

This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply