The Perfect Chocolate Mousse


There was a time in my life when I didn't really like chocolate mousse very much. Then we went to Paris for our honeymoon and I realized what I had been missing. Our first night there, we went exploring and after seeing the Eiffel Tower, we stopped at a restaurant nearby to enjoy dinner on the sidewalk. Dusk in the city of lights is picturesque and coupled with delicious food, it's a moment I will always remember. Le crumby husband ordered mousse au chocolat for dessert while I ordered....er...who knows what? I honestly don't remember because whatever I ordered just did not compare to this chocolate mousse.

After we got back home, I kept thinking about that silky chocolatey perfection. I couldn't get it out of my head so here I was thinking I'd have to go on some ridiculous quest in search of said perfection--I would have to try countless recipes because of course in reality nothing would match up with the awesomeness that I've been reminiscing about. As things often pan out differently in reality than they do in my head, the first recipe I tried was all it took. Seriously best chocolate mousse ever, thanks to David Lebovitz's adaptation of the classic Julia Child recipe.

Mousse au Chocolat from David Lebovitz
Makes six to eight servings

Ingredients:
6 ounces (170g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
6 ounces (170g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup (60ml) dark-brewed coffee
4 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup (170g), plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons (30ml) dark rum
1 tablespoon (15ml) water
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
  1. In a double broiler, melt together the chocolate, butter and coffee, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
  2. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
  3. In a bowl large* enough to nest securely on the saucepan of simmering water, whisk the egg yolks with 2/3 cup of sugar, rum and water for approximately three minutes until the mixture is thick, like runny mayonnaise. (*Large enough to add the chocolate into the yolks, but small enough to nest in the ice water bowl.)
  4. Remove from heat and place the bowl of the egg yolk mixture within the bowl of ice water and beat until cool and thick. Then fold the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks.
  5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites with the salt until frothy and continue to beat until they start to hold their shape. Whip in the tablespoon of sugar and continue to beat until thick and shiny, but not completely stiff. Add in the vanilla. Be careful you don't over whip your egg whites
  6. Fold one-third of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then gently fold in the remainder of the whites until they are just incorporated. The whites provide the light airy texture, so don’t over mix it or you'll lose volume.
  7. Divide into serving dishes and refrigerate for at least four hours, until firm. Mousse can be refrigerated for up to four days.

Crumby Notes:
  • This recipe really is all about the chocolate. The highest quality chocolate you can get your hands on makes all the difference.
  • If you're worried about the raw eggs, check out Wicked Good Dinner's post about pasteurizing eggs. I cooked both the egg whites and yolks (separately, of course) in a double broiler for a batch for a pregnant friend and made a second control batch to compare the two. Taste was pretty spot on, but the texture was a bit different. The pasteurized egg whites did not whip as easily, so that batch was not quite as airy as the regular batch, but both were still quite tasty.
  • I like to serve it plain without any toppings or garnishes. The chocolate shines enough on it's own, but a small dollop of whipped cream or a raspberry or two could pair nicely.
  • I laughed when I read where David's recipe says, "Transfer the mousse to a serving bowl or divide into serving dishes." Trust me, divide into serving dishes--one big serving bowl is far too dangerous. Any glass, cup or ramekin will do though. I particularly like using espresso cups and tea cups. Small 4 oz canning jars are also fantastic because they're portable and make a great Valentine's Day treat. 
~Bon Appétit!~


This entry was posted in ,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply